Bogofilter is a personal spam filter you can use with your Artifex account. Here’s how you use it.
To install spam filtering on your account:
- Log in to the Artifex by ssh. [if unfamiliar, see Using SSH]
- From the prompt, type bogoqmail.py install (and return)
- Type yes and return.
Spam filtering is now active on your account. Spam is delivered to the spam box in your mail directory, and real mail is delivered to your inbox. You may train your filter in two ways. If you use PINE:
- When spam arrives in your inbox, select the message,
type |bogo, and press return. You may then delete the message.
When legitimate mail arrives in your spam box, select the message, type |unbogo, and press return. You may then save the message to INBOX.
If you use a mail client on your own machine, or webmail:
- When spam arrives in your inbox, forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org, where myname is your username. You may then delete the message.
- When legitimate mail arrives in your spam box, forward it to email@example.com, where myname is your username. You may then delete the message.
It is important that you periodically check your spam box for legitimate mail, and also empty it. This is easy if you use PINE, a local IMAP client, or webmail (just make sure to subscribe to the spam folder from the Folder Options page). If you use a local POP client and don’t have access to your spam box, you should check it occasionally using webmail or PINE.
To uninstall spam filtering, log in by ssh, and type bogoqmail.py remove , and return. That’s it.